Friday, June 18, 2010

1 Project Down, 10,000 To Go.




This week I finished a project on the front entry way to our casa.  Now that the fowls are no longer applying any of their own finishes to the lumber and flooring (see previous blog post), I got to do something I've been planning and which the house has needed for a long time.  Actually, the door posts did not look so bad last fall and I stained the door and window trim last Spring.  Even so, you can tell that things were looking pretty sad by the time I got around staining them this time around. 

The stain came out a bit darker on the posts than I expected but I actually like it a lot.  The only thing to do from there was to lighten up the house numbers for a bit of contrast so I hit them with some sandpaper and they now have a lighter-colored brushed metal look.

The results hopefully justify the amount of time spent and the risk involved with climbing up a ladder only to be surprised by a resident of what I thought was a vacant wasp's nest.  Fortunately, I was able to dismount the ladder and take out my nemesis while I had both feet on the ground.

Loose-bowled birds, stealth wasps!  I'm expecting a plague of locusts or frogs next.  Perhaps I'll change the name of this blog to "Man vs. Wild."

Finally, as it shows in the 'before' shots, the flowerbed to the left of the door needed some attention.  This worked out great because while I was working on the potrico trim, H came out and pulled weeds.  Thanks for the help and the company!  B  



After.

No comments:

Post a Comment