Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Plot(s)


So. . . I finally get a day off with nice weather and, as it turns out, I got to spend the whole day working in the yard.  Maybe I should say in a yard rather than the yard.  As an unfortunate owner of an extra home with no occupants or pending sale, I had to spend the whole dang day loading, unloading, mowing, trimming, cleaning, spraying, rehabilitating, loading (again) and unloading (again) at our previous residence.  All of this while H wrestled crabgrass and other undesirables from the front flowerbeds in an effort to make the yard look somewhat similar to the way it looked when we lived in it (as seen in these photos). 



I guess 2007 was really my last carefree Summer.  That was the year I put in the most awesome patio ever.  Little did I know then that I would not have much time to enjoy it but much time to fret about it.  In the late Winter of 2008, we completely lost our minds and decided that we should find a bigger place for our expanding brood and sell our house on Eastwood.  The impending move and hopeful sale or that home and related distractions and labors precluded planting a garden in this year and with a move into our present abode in late Summer, outdoor projects were, of necessity, kept to a minimum. 

After a lease/purchase offer from an interested party failed to mature, much neglect of the yard, bad paint jobs and little dogs with incontinence roaming freely within the residence while they leased, followed by recalcitrant odors in spite of aggressive professional carpet cleaning and ozone machines, new carpet and new paint and more yard work at a house I did not live in - all last Summer - some very nice renters moved in and kept our home company during the cold months. 

But now it is ours once again and I - like Bilbo Baggins - feel like butter spread over too much bread.  I was grateful for pleasant weather and what we were able to accomplish so far but it seems that I may have to wait for another year to really sink my teeth into my outdoor domain here.  If you could see the vision of it that I have in my head, you'd be impressed.  For now, you'll just have to take my word for it.   


Finally, on this day I was a little bitter as I pulled into the driveway after running a final errand, to see my lawn mover sitting on my unmowed front lawn (T and M had left it there after finishing their lawn mowing jobs that they do for a couple of our neighbors). Thankfully, T mowed for me the next day. Thanks buddy. I needed that.  Maybe we'll make it yet.  B   

No comments:

Post a Comment